10 To-Do’s to Welcome the New YearLIV Sotheby's
While the holiday spirit fills the air and time is spent with friends and family, don’t forget about the new year approaching. For many people, the beginning of a new year is an opportunity to start fresh and embrace change. This could mean setting a resolution, signing up for that half marathon you’ve always thought about, redesigning your home, or possibly purchasing or selling a home. If you’re aiming to put your house on the market in the new year, remember to take down your holiday decorations and possibly invest in a professional cleaner (this will make a difference to potential buyers!).
To start the new year off on the right foot, here are 10 to-do’s you may want to consider:
- Journal. Take time to reflect on the year, writing down what you are grateful for and what you are looking forward to in 2019.
- Donate your time or money to a local charity or non-profit of choice. The holiday season is a perfect time to help others, and perhaps you will find a new charity with more involvement opportunities going into 2019.
- Update and cleanse your social media accounts. Update your account information and perhaps clean up your friend list to those you are still in contact with.
- Set your fitness goals and get started! You don’t have to wait for January 1 to start working towards your fitness goals. Be realistic when setting, then get to it.
- Schedule any doctor’s appointments now. That way you will start the new year with these already scheduled (the hardest part) and all you have to do is show up.
- “Minimalize” your home. Go through your closets, and perhaps summer clothes that are stored away, and get rid of any clothes that no longer bring you happiness or that you no longer wear. Make sure to find a local donation drop-off.
- Plan for your home redesign. If you are considering redesigning or remodeling your home, get started with the planning process. Redesigns/remodels can typically take longer than originally planned, but if you are prepared this will go smoother. If you want to stay on trend, keep in mind Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2019 is Living Coral.
- Set your financial budget for 2019. When setting your budget, make sure you have enough time dedicated to complete it. You will want to look back and calculate your expenses, add in your income, set saving and debt-payoff goals, then be realistic for how much you can cut out of your expenses to meet those goals.
- Make your financial goals. If you have goals in mind, perhaps purchasing or selling a home, now is the time to think about those goals. Consult with an expert to ensure you are set up for success prior to making any big moves. If you are planning on a financial purchase in 2019, watch your spending over the holidays as you want to ensure your credit remains intact.
- Celebrate! After all, you deserve it. Enjoy your time with friends and family. Take a day trip to the spa and treat yourself. 2018 was a year to remember, end it with focusing on yourself and starting 2019 with a fresh mindset.